Monday, January 28, 2008

'Dr' Asemfofro apologises to Prez

Page 3 Jan 28/2008

Story: Charles Benoni Okine

AN ardent critic of the Kufuor administration, Mr Osei Yaw Nketia, a.k.a. “Dr” Asemfofro, has apologised to President J.A. Kufuor for the harsh words he used during the last People’s Assembly held in Sekondi in the Western Region a couple of weeks ago.
“Upon second thought about the way I spoke to our leader I realised that I did not behave well and I told the President I was sorry and asked for forgiveness,” he told the media shortly after he emerged from the President’s private residence in Accra yesterday.
“Dr” Asemfofro, a 51-year-old trader at Kantamanto, seizes the least opportunity to directly chastise the President, usually using harsh words.
His attitude is believed to have created many enemies for him and he is accused of showing gross disrespect for the President.
The press was not allowed into the residence of the President but Asemfofro told the media later, “I was surprised at the way he received me and counselled me as a father.”
He said he had used harsh words in asking questions during the assembly and that before meeting the President he had expected the President to be unfriendly.
“But he received me and cracked jokes with me as if nothing had happened and I feel relieved now,” he said.
According “Dr” Asemfofro, the President expressed regret at the way he (Asemfofro) had carried himself at the assembly, adding, “I take whatever he said in good faith and promise not to do that again.”
He said he requested the President to ensure that people did not pester him because of his stance, saying that he had regretted his actions and would not repeat them.
“Dr” Asemfofro, who was in the company of his eldest son, said he believed in democracy and was appreciative of the way the President had made it possible for people to express themselves freely.

No comments: